To be a diverse community that embraces the changing needs and expectations of our residents through respect for people, preserving the shoreline, and creating a prosperous and safe community.
The mission of the government of West Haven is to provide our residents with open, honest and fiscally stable stewardship of the city through a system of checks and balances that ensures compassionate leadership in meeting the needs of our people. This stewardship is based on the following core principles:
- Encouraging participation by all residents in the development and improvement of our city.
- Striving for excellence and satisfaction in the delivery of public services.
- Maintaining respect between the government and the public.
- Continually improving the channels of communication, both internally and externally.
- Ensuring a progressive environment that will enhance the quality of life for all.
- Fostering an economic climate that maximizes recreational, educational and employment opportunities for our residents.
- Ongoing review of the city’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and challenges to ensure a bright future for the people and the City of West Haven.
54,763 (U.S. Census 2020)
27,436 (as of August 2022, Office of the Registrar of Voters)
Per Capita Personal Income
$30,360 (U.S. Census 2020)
Projected 2020 Median Income
$62,985 (U.S. Census 2020)
Interstate 95 North (From Bridgeport)
- Take Exit 42, Sawmill Road.
- Turn right onto Sawmill Road.
- Follow about 1 mile to Main Street and turn left.
- Follow to Savin Avenue and turn left. (Municipal parking lot for City Hall is immediately on the right.)
Interstate 95 South (From New Haven)
- Take Exit 43, First Avenue.
- Turn left onto First Avenue.
- Turn right onto Elm Street.
- Follow to Campbell Avenue and turn left. (Library is on the corner.)
- Follow to City Hall, which is at the corner of Campbell Avenue and Main Street. Parking is behind City Hall, off Savin Avenue.