News Flash

West Haven News

Posted on: April 29, 2020

Memorial Day parade canceled, Walk of Honor event moved

Memorial Day Parade (Small)

WEST HAVEN, April 29, 2020 — Due to the coronavirus pandemic and social distancing restrictions, the city and the West Haven Veterans Council have canceled the Memorial Day parade and postponed the Veterans Walk of Honor dedication, Mayor Nancy R. Rossi and council President Dave Ricci announced.

Despite the parade’s cancellation, Ricci said this year’s grand marshals, World War II veteran Frank Corso and Korean War vet Salvatore Gullo, will lead next year’s procession of veterans, dignitaries and bands along Campbell Avenue.

Corso served in the Army Air Forces in 1942-45, and Gullo served in the Navy in 1948-52.

The dedication, which memorializes veterans on the brick Walk of Honor in Bradley Point Park, has been rescheduled for Nov. 11 to coincide with the annual Veterans Day ceremony, Rossi said.

In November 2006, the Veterans Council began the first of 13 campaigns selling bricks to commemorate vets on the 100-yard Walk of Honor between the William A. Soderman and Vietnam Veterans memorials.

The bricks, which cost $75, have charcoal lettering for personalized messages.

More than 2,700 bricks have been installed so far, including 51 for the 12th phase, which was dedicated May 25, 2019.

Watch the mayor’s video message on West Haven’s official YouTube Channel.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in West Haven News

West Haven Seal wide

Farmers market vouchers available

Posted on: September 21, 2020