||Frank Gladwin, Building Official|
City Hall, 355 Main St., 3rd Floor
West Haven, CT 06516
||Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.|
Effective April 2, 2012: Permits issued 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Call 203-937-3590 for inspections, which must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
For any project, commercial or residential, such as additions or building new structures, you must FIRST visit the West Haven Building Department. Depending on the type of project you are undertaking, you will need to get approvals from various City government agencies. The West Haven Building Department issues permits and inspects work done to all buildings and other structures. Permits include building, electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, sprinklers, refrigeration, demolition and signs. Applications for permits are reviewed for conformance to applicable laws and codes. A permit constitutes permission to proceed with the approved work.
See Downloads above for permit applications and Fee Schedule
The purpose of permits and inspections is to ensure public safety, health and welfare insofar as they are affected by building construction, through structural strength, adequate exit facilities, fire safety, light and ventilation and sanitary equipment.
In general, the Building Department functions to secure safety to life and property from hazards incident to the design, erection, repair, removal, demolition or occupancy of buildings, structures or premises.
A building permit is the official permission to start any construction project. The permit indicates that the plans for a new structure, addition, renovation, plumbing, electrical or mechanical system have been reviewed and comply with mandated building codes and laws.
To help avoid delays, it is important that you are prepared with the proper documents when applying for permits.
City of West Haven Building Department Instructions for filing a Building Permit Application
1. Provide two complete sets of plans and specifications or proper drawings (blue line, photocopies or otherwise indelible). Swimming pools require engineered manufacturer specification sheet
Fill out the Building Permit Application in ink and completely
2. Provide copies of your "Plot Plans" showing all buildings (existing and new), proposed grades, accurate boundary lines.
3. FOR ALL CONSTRUCTION, provide a list of all contractors hired to work at site and current copies of their Worker's Compensation coverage (or the signed affidavit form). A copy of Home Improvement Contractor's Registration or New Home Contractor license as required by law.
4. Include any copies of any Federal; State or Historic District permits with application if required.
5. Take all items to ZONING DEPARTMENT; for help with filling out the Zoning Compliance Application and to gain Zoning approvals only. A filing fee will be charged. (Note: Zoning action may apply- verify with Zoning) They will issue a receipt and stamp the Building Permit Application.
6. Take all items to ENGINEERING to be reviewed for flood zones and new sewer connections of any kind. They will stamp the Building Permit Application
7. All Taxes must be paid before a permit will be issued.
ONE AND TWO FAMILY DWELLINGS, GARAGES, SHEDS ETC. GO TO STEP 9
All other Permit applications see A & B Below.
(a) Fire Marshal's approval is required on all other building permit applications and plans. (Three Separate Fire Districts)
(b) Health Department will review for all business licenses (restaurant, barber, grocery, etc.) septic system approvals and wells.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AS REQUIRED
A] Architect and/or engineer's seal and signature on all plans required by Connecticut General Statutes.
B] Special Inspection statements as required by State Building Code, Section 1705;
C] Plans to show: Use groups; type of construction; dimensions of all elements; uses of all room; materials used; fire resistance ratings with tested design sources
Do You Have Everything You Need Before You Apply For A Permit?
- Planning & Zoning Approval
- City Fire Marshall Approval: for everything other than one and two family dwellings and their accessory structures.
- Sewer Commission Department Approval: if the structure is on or going to be connected to public sewers.
- City Health Department Approval: for food establishments, connection to a septic tank, etc.
- Tax Clearance Certificate: No permit will be issued until a certificate has been obtained from the Tax Collector's Office.
- Worker's Compensation Certificate: proof of worker's compensation insurance certificate with the "City of West Haven" as the certificate holder. (Or, if a homeowner, a worker's compensation affidavit form.)
- Please be sure that building permit applications are properly filled out in their entirety. If a person, other than the owner, applies for a building permit application, it must be signed on the back by the owner authorizing the applicant to do the proposed work. Where applicable, a State of Connecticut License/Registration number must be presented with your application.
In addition to any other requirements, the State of Connecticut Building Code requires the following information:
- Application for Permit
- Description of Work
- (2) Sets of Construction Plans
- Site Plan
The Building Official is allowed a period of 30 days to review all permits before issuance once all the proper information is provided.